Monday, August 4, 2008

But mom I want to go hiking too........................

Nojah and Lex enjoying some licorice on the hike up.

The kids looking down at hurricane creek. This may appear as a huge drop off because it was. The last 0.5 miles of our destination was along this edge until we got to slick rock falls that joins the raging river below.

Barefoot at slick rock falls. After we played awhile we hiked to the top of the falls for an even more spectacular view.

Since Lex wasn't able to accompany Nojah and I up to Sawtooth she decided she wanted to go on a hike too. So on Sunday we headed up to Slick rock for a 6-7 mile round trip for the day. Her only disappointment was there was no snow for her to ski on like we got to. It was another beautiful day, however the weekend is NOT the best time to go on a popular trail with 60 other hikers. Other than large numbers of people the day was great. The kids probably spent an hour playing in the falls and eating lunch. Nojah lost his sunglasses in falls creek on Friday's hike and then left his Yankee's hat up at slick rock on Sunday. We were already 1/2 mile down when I realized this and made the kids stay put while I went for a run to fetch it. This is not the first time he has left his favorite hat behind so he knew he was in trouble when I said "where is your hat?" I had just gotten them past all the major drop offs and didn't want to turn them around and hike them back up it so I just ran back up there myself. Besides the missing hat the only other excitement was Alexyss taking a fall that resembled someone sliding into home base after I said "hurry up, let's catch Nojah". That's usually what happens on our hikes and it always seems to be my fault. So she has some good scrapes and bruises. I told her to ignore me when I make comments like, hurry up, race you, or pick up the pace while on a trail. It never turns out good. Oh well, hope everyone else had a great weekend and got out to enjoy the sunshine.

4 comments:

Sarah Peterson said...

man, you guys sure hike a LOT! I'mm glad you're having fun.. Oh, and yes, I signed up for a photo class but it doesn't start for another month or something. I'm excited about it, but I sure hope it's worth the money!

Unknown said...

You are the ultimate fun mom! Awesome pictures!

Karen K. said...

I don't know how you can handle that drop-off where the kids are looking down. Ugh. I think I know where you get your fear of heights!

(Tim says I would have been screaming at him to get my kids away from there! heh heh he's probably right) ;)

MissaRae said...

They look so cute. Isaac was looking at this with me and commenting on how tall they both were. He said that Lexie was almost as tall as Nojah. My boys start this next week. All except Danny. They are doing a staggered start for his class and he doesn't go till Friday. Well I must run, but have a great weekend!!